Friday, July 13, 2007

Crazy Love

I just noticed that "Crazy Love" is opening in Portland this weekend. I saw this documentary at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival in Durham, N.C. back in April, and it was one of my favorite films at the festival. It unfolds the weirdly fascinating story of a rather notorious NYC couple (Burt Pugach and Linda Riss) who had a tumultuous affair back in the 1950s. When she finally saw through his promises to marry her after learning he was already married and then that he was lying to her about divorcing his wife, Linda broke up with Burt, who then resorted to desperate measures. Honestly, the mechanics of their relationship are mesmerizing and are depicted here in a way that both provokes and illuminates. I enjoyed a fascinating discussion with the director at the festival--let me know if you decide to see it!

No comments: