Monday, February 9, 2009

PIFF Day 4

I'm not sure what is going on with the Oscars this year. Though it is now one of five nominees for best foreign language film, "Revanche" (Austria) was not in the league of "The Necessities of Life" (Canada's submission, which I loved so much on Saturday--it did not receive a nomination) and any number of other foreign language pictures I saw this year (most notably "I've Loved You So Long" from France, also not nominated). The Austrian film (which one reviewer suggests is "the first Buddhist thriller") tells the story of an ex-con and his immigrant prostitute girlfriend, who are anxious to escape the dangerous brothel where they both work, and how their lives eventually intertwine with the serene lives of a police officer and his wife as a result of a botched robbery. For me, though I liked the main character (the ex-con), the set-up took way too long and, ultimately, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. (5)

No comments: